Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On Writing. What is Writer's Block?

It's a myth, folks, pure and simple. Writer's block does not exist. Writer's block is the boogey man and the excuse. It is not the cause.

I sit here this morning, knowing I have to write something. However, I'm dealing with hospitals and bills and Facebook, oh my. Listen, stay away from those three as much as you can, especially if you're a writer.

One of my first mentors in writing once told me a joke.

What is the difference a large pepperoni pizza and a comic book writer?

The pepperoni pizza can feed a family of four.

Still, it was blasted hot last night. Hot and muggy. I felt like I was in a sauna all night long. Now, I know that is how some people like to relax, but at least they have the option to get up, open the door, and walk out.

Being uncomfortable is not conducive to writing, but it is also not an excuse. I could've written something inspired by the heat.

And, there it is. What some writers refer to as writer's block is actually a lack of inspiration or merely being distracted.

What are you doing now? Reading this. Why aren't you writing. Sure, we need a chance to let our brains take in new information. We need to be able to kick back and relax. We need a lot of things.

We need to stop making excuses.

Today, I have my work writing to focus on as well as I have decided to go back and re-work a book I finished a few months back before realizing I had to entirely rewrite it from a different perspective. I also have some game writing I want to do and some research. And, I have a piece of personal writing to do.

So, I need to get off my rear and do it. Okay, I will stay seated through the process, but I can't let little things like temperature, so-called inspiration, or Facebook get in the way.

That's your challenge for the day, folks. Let it be your challenge for every day. Get out there and write. Or create. Whatever you do, choose to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment