Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pathfinder RPG: Gear Up & Roll Out

Now, I’m not sure exactly how far I will go with this one. I just covered Pathfinder Feats. The next chapter in the core rulebook is arms and equipment. I’m not expecting many changes, but I am still going to look it over. I may end up covering more than one chapter here just to even it out a bit.

Gear makes the character, right? Well, not really. I was talking to +Mark Knights  last night about some of the crazy weapons and armor rules people I have played with and myself had worked out. We often had unique weapons and armor, different from what you might find in a book. So, the equipment chapter usually gives me starting ideas and a shopping list of sorts to use for my characters in someone else’s games.

I never necessarily understood the starting wealth for characters in D&D. They seem to have stayed with the same here where, based on class, the amount they start with varies. I don’t know if this is some sort of weird balancing act, or it is based on the creator’s perceptions of what these classes are like. I personally usually give everyone the same amount and more than what is listed in the book or some key items they would need for their character and the same base amount for everyone. Am I the only one who does this? I doubt it.


The standard coin breakdown is done here as well between copper, silver, gold, and platinum. I have seen many variations of this including more types of coins (i.e., tin, steel, bronze, etc.).  They then give a brief explanation of barter and selling treasure. From there, we’re off.

We have the breakdown of standard weapons: melee vs. ranged as well as light, one-handed, and two-handed melee weapons. This again seems to be repeat information for me due to prior experience. I do believe their explanation of critical damage is a bit better. I know a lot of people interpreted the older versions of DnD to have the damage literally multiplied where Pathfinder most certainly has players rolling X amount of times. I always preferred this way—multiple rolls complete with bonuses over straight multiplication.

I could be wrong, but I also believe brace is newly written into the rules. I know I’ve used it before, but it was always houseruled. It was also rare. I still think Masterwork weapons and armor are too expensive. This is an example of one of the types of items I might initially provide to one of my players. Then again, I have a tendency of preferring over the top action and challenging scenarios. I am not quite sure spiked armor should be under weapons with armor spikes being the first listing under armor, seems kind of redundant. We again have these armor check penalties and speed reductions for medium and heavy armor, even with all the research showing how flexible and mobile people could be even in full plate.

I do love the special materials rules being added right in here. This is something I really enjoy with fantasy games—the different materials granting different abilities. I’ve done it a lot over the years and look forward to doing it in Pathfinder as well. The cost does seem a bit high to me, though.

Then, on to adventuring gear and I am reminded many people still seem confused into believing a shuriken is a weapon. In reality it is a tool used to distract much like the caltrop. But, these are little idiosyncrasies I can live with. I also wouldn’t mind seeing a better description for the various kits and outfits.

Who here keeps an account-like ledger for their character’s gear—both weight and cost? I usually do and it gets ugly pretty fast. I’d like to find a way to make this a bit easier. Not that the math or the list is hard, but so that characters could actually have the things they need without needing to run back to town every few minutes. How long do you have to play to afford everything you want for your character? How much is handed to you by your GM, even if it’s a quest reward?

I guess there was enough material for this blog post after all. Until next time, guys and gals!



No comments:

Post a Comment