Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Some Quick Thoughts on the Numenera RPG

I have a limited connection and an uncomfortable setup today as I am broadcasting like from Rainbow Babies & Children in beautiful downtown Cleveland today. As such, I’m not sure how far into my planned blog posts I will make it, but I thought I would jot down some quick thoughts.

I was talking about the many different options for Numenera characters with +Jonathan Henry last night. Jokingly, I made a comment about a Nano with Tony Stark’s armor, a Glaive who makes a discovery not unlike that of one Dr. Bruce Banner, or a Jack with mental and illusionary powers that is the last of a dying race of Martians from another dimension. Hahaha. We both laughed. Then, there was that moment of silence. You know the one I am talking about. It is the predecessor to the moment of dawning. Our faces became stern. Then we laughed again.


+Monte Cook had done it again. The Numenera RPG has pretty much exceeded all of our expectations. Just when we think we’ve seen it all or figured it out, there is a little nugget around the corner waiting to surprise us. You can absolutely set up the comic book hero or villain as a character in Numenera. In fact, because of all the stuff that has been worked into both the rules and the setting material, you can create just about anything and everything within the bounds of the game. If nothing else, the Academy of Doors makes that pretty well a trump card to surprise players with at any point in time.


Rather than starting right off with a bunch of examples of how pretty much every and any character can be imagined in the world, I challenge anyone to bring forth something that cannot be done in Numenera.

No comments:

Post a Comment